Dancing through life...

Dancing Through Life...
If You Just Smile...

Friday, February 8, 2013

When your Coffee Splatters All Over the Sidewalk


Last night I was walking home from work.  I’ve been having a stressful couple of weeks and as I took each step was deep in thought (shocker.)  I looked up just in time to watch as a homeless man ahead of me dumped his coffee all over the sidewalk.  His head shot back in exasperation…and then hung low as he took a deep breath.  He dropped his large backpack and other items in his hands….picked up the empty cup of coffee and began to gather his belongings once more.  I ran straight in to the grocery store on the corner and asked the man at the counter for a cup of coffee.  As the man behind the counter moved at actual snails pace…my exasperation grew…”Come on, dude…I just want to catch this man so I can give him a new cup of joe for gosh sakes.”  As the barista slowly capped the cup and handed me my change…I rushed out to see if the man was still there.   Gone.  I walked around a bit to see if I could find him…but alas, there I stood with a hot cup of coffee for…myself. 

As I went through the rest of my evening I kept seeing that cup of coffee falling to the ground, his hands full of other things.  The exasperation he felt was so real.  End of his rope.  What else happened to him that day…week…month…year…one more thing. 

We feel that a lot don’t we?  That we’re carrying too much…that the one thing we need slips right through our hands. 

Makes me think of a video from the Nooma series the youth pastor Rob Bell put together entitled, Shells.  At the end he describes a trip his family took to the beach.  His boys were running along the shore collecting pieces of shells.  After awhile they caught sight of a huge starfish off in the distance.  Rob Bell’s son went running for it…and became anxious and agitated and when Rob said to son, “What’s the problem? Go get it…it’s right there for you!”  He responded, “I can’t, my hands are filled with shells!”  Fragments of a whole filled his hands and it never occurred to him to drop some to grab the huge beauty in front of him.

Rob Bell talks about how much of a parallel this draws to our lives.  How often am I holding fragments of a whole in my hand…unable to discern what I should relinquish in order to grab hold of the thing Jesus waves right in front of me.  Some of the fragments are beautiful…but what have I said yes to, leaving me saying no to something else? 

You see…I don’t want to drop my coffee on the sidewalk.  I want my hands to be open and free for the big prize.  So…as Jesus did in Mark I’ll go away and pray for awhile…ask God to free up my mind of all the little things that may be wonderful, but leave me unable to say yes to what he wants of me.

Perhaps then I wont be so stressed out J  

No comments:

Post a Comment